Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sonlight and MORE PICTURES!

This morning we hit our first little milestone since beginning Sonlight Core A (kindergarten level) a couple of weeks ago.  We finished the first Boxcar Children book!  We have been reading chapter books together for a while now, but this is our first one in the Sonlight curriculum so it just felt like a major thing.  We celebrated by having a little tea party.  AND THEN, y'all know I had to take some pictures!  I really just wanted to get a cute picture of each girl alone.  They are so cooperative, but I'm sure my neighbors think I have lost it.  "Oh look, there she goes again with her camera..." lol... Anyway, they are so adorable I can't help it!








Speaking of neighbors, I think we have just about the sweetest neighbors anyone could ask for!  Our next door neighbor is a first grade teacher and a first-time grandma to a newborn baby boy.  We walked over and took a peek at him a few days ago while she was babysitting and he is so precious.  I discovered that they also attend our church!  It is definitely reassuring while we are starting out on our first year of homeschooling to know that we have a veteran first grade teacher right next door if we should need any advice!  God always knows what we need, even when we don't.  I should also mention that using Sonlight curriculum has been a HUGE blessing for us this year!  There are so many options out there for homeschooling parents but Sonlight caught my eye right away for two reasons.  It is literature based which suits Olivia's learning style and it is also came in one big package that could be ordered from one website.  We are using Sonlight Core A, which includes Bible, Language Arts, Read Alouds (a mixture of chapter books, poetry, and short stories), and Science.  We chose Handwriting Without Tears for Handwriting, and Horizons Kindergarten for Math.  My lessons are all planned out for the entire year, and everything except math is organized all in one binder.  
This is everything that was included with our package!  I mean EVERYTHING.  Flash cards, bingo, math manipulatives, charts, chalk, EVERYTHING!!!  I know there are tons of hardworking homeschooling moms out there who put it all together themselves, but this is one area of life that I am thankful to just have it put together for me.  I cannot say enough good things about Sonlight.  I have a post coming up in the next few days of Olivia's work over the last few weeks.  She has made so much progress already and I can't wait to share it.  Thanks for reading!  

-Maegan

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love that I found the comment button. My granddaughters are gorgeous and you are getting quite good with that camera. Ellie and Olivia remind me so much of you when you were little, but Caroline reminds me so much of her daddy! (& a bit of me since she's such a tomboy)! Y'all are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO THRILLED that you finally found out how to comment! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete