Saturday, September 1, 2012

Olivia's 1st Day of Preschool!


It is hard to believe, but our big 3 year old had her first day of preschool yesterday!  While my main interest at this point is continuing on the path of schooling at home for the most part, I recognize Olivia's need to learn from other adults.  She is very social and even though we have a diverse playgroup, I knew she would benefit greatly from being around different kids and teachers.  We decided a while back to join the local homeschooling co-op and I am so glad that we did!  The first day really went well.  A local church allows the co-op to use their building for classes every Friday, and I have to say I was very impressed with how the classes were set up!  They were much larger and much more child-friendly than I had imagined.  They were all painted in bright colors and each room had a wild rug.  Olivia definitely approved.

The co-op offers a wide range of classes suitable for kids of all ages.  We had to be out of town on the day of registration so a friend was able to take our paperwork and sign her up for us, thankfully.  At that time, we were told that all of the classes had filled up quickly so they would have to open more.  That in itself was a good sign!  I never would have imagined how much the homeschooling community in this area is growing.  It was a very reassuring feeling when we walked in Friday morning to find the lobby filled with families who are all on similar paths.  While their reasons for homeschooling may be different, they have all been called to the same place!  Anyway, since the original classes filled up so quickly, I was anxious to see who her teachers would be and what classes she would be in.  She was placed in Fun Fitness for first hour, Reading Alive for second hour, and Preschool Art for third hour.  I think it is going to be a great semester there!  She was kept busy during her classes and did well being separated from me, which made me feel very confident about the rest of the year.  

While Olivia is taking classes, I will be working in the nursery.  The first day was a little hectic but that's to be expected for the first day!  I am looking forward to field trips, school pictures, and the fall party already.  Those are the things about school that I remember being so excited about as a child.  I didn't want my little ones to miss out on them, so I am SO excited to learn that we will still be able to participate in those things!  Holiday parties and field trips?!  It doesn't get any better.  It just doesn't.  I am also thankful that we are able to be a part of an organization that is ran by the parents.  I definitely felt a sense of community there and I am really looking forward to getting to know the other families better.

Enjoy the pictures!  We had quite the photo shoot so I had to share!  
Olivia and her friend Ethan

Love, Maegan

1 comment: